3/14/2008

Recruiting


Now that the season has come to an end. We are entering what may be the most exhausting part of the year. This week we had a meeting to determine what days of the week each coach would take because we have recruits coming until the end of the school year. I was given Monday and Wednesdays, and my responsibilities would be to take recruits to lunch, introduce them around and try to get a feel for what type of personality each player has. After lunch I would then take the recruits to meet the Asst. Coach, Tim Ryerson, and he would take it from there. Once he was done he would take the recruits to see our Head Coach, David Smith. So I'm getting my first experience in recruiting and this is not the traditional type of recruiting most schools may do. Our philosophy, or approach, is different then what most people would think. As a recruiter I'm not trying to "sale" the school, or give recruits the history of each building their first time visiting us. I am letting the experience speak for itself. First impression is everything and as a former recruit I know that most people know, after about 5 minutes, if this is a place they could be or not. Since most coaches are trying to "sale" their school to recruits their first visit, we have decided to take another approach and be different from other programs. If a recruit enjoys themselves and wants to come back for another visit, then we start to tell them more about the technical things their second time around. I can't wait to get started! Like I said many times before, "a coaches job is never over." Even if the basketball season has come to an end there is still more work for a coach to do.

No comments: